What do police officers think about gas guns?

Es gibt 25 Antworten in diesem Thema, welches 3.276 mal aufgerufen wurde. Der letzte Beitrag (1. Mai 2008 um 02:51) ist von Rat The Tatat.

• Depends on whom you ask. The official line of their union is that every gun or device that is capable of making noise or even firing things is a real meanance to society, should be banned at once and everyone possessing such an item should be sent to an institution for the incurably insane.
    On an individual basis most policemen get a little nervous when they see that you are carrying a gun with you but once they recognize that you are not a threat to them they usually relax. Comments I got were ranging from "nice piece - I want one too - where can I get it?" up to "what do you think that junk is useful for, get one like mine"
    In general most policemen I talked with do not believe that a gas/alarm gun is a superior weapon for self defense but they admit that it has its uses, especially if you do not threaten your opponent but just use it.

Ihr Glück ist Trug und ihre Freiheit Schein:
    Ich bin ein Preuße, will ein Preuße sein!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von F600 (28. April 2008 um 09:25)

• Interesting topic.

Here (in Hungary), most average policemen do not know anything about guns, not even about their service pistols. Most of them can not even field strip it. :(

There is a slight circle in the police, who are gun nuts, and some of them actually know the gun laws, too.

Usually the police guys fear from the guns, even from the gas-alarm or airguns.* Most of them, especially at the higher level, hates even the idea of civilian selfdefence.

Interestingly, a lot of street cops (know the real life), not against selfedefence and carrying guns, and as they are often not allowed to carry real guns off-duty, carry gas-alarm guns, as normal citizens.

*In Hungary, for the WBK the police checks your safe (safe storage possibilty), and at my recent renewal, the policeman even feared to touch my unloaded guns to check the serial numbers. :laugh:

• Police officers in Lithuania, when off-duty, carry combat handguns for self-defence (more rare), or more often gas sprays - Walther Pro Secur, Antihund (CS+CN) is also popular.
    Police officers dont really like gas pistols/revolvers - their main argument is: when you draw gas pistol. somebody can draw real combat pistol.

Greetings from Lithuania :)

• Zitat

Original von Gabor VASS
    Usually the police guys fear from the guns, even from the gas-alarm or airguns.* Most of them, especially at the higher level, hates even the idea of civilian selfdefence.

Jup, exactly my words - the higher you get in the hierarchy the less likely do they have any sane opinion on self-defense or even armed citizens.

Zitat

their main argument is: when you draw gas pistol. somebody can draw real combat pistol.

Ever suggested that this problem might be solved by substituting live guns for gas pistols? That way no one will draw a more dangerous gun when you get yours out.

Ihr Glück ist Trug und ihre Freiheit Schein:
    Ich bin ein Preuße, will ein Preuße sein!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von F600 (28. April 2008 um 14:00)

• when I filled out the forms for my "kleiner waffenschein" at the police station, the 2 officers could not understand why someone has an interest in defending himself with a gas-gun. they made some "stupid" comments and even tried to convince me that I should quit the whole idea of using such a weapon.

I think many police-officers are not very happy with the widespread of SSW here because misunderstandings can easily happen and always happen.

jens

• Hat es eigentlich einen tieferen Sinn, das Ihr euch im größten DEUTSCHSPRACHIGEN Forum für freie Waffen in englisch unterhaltet?

Gruß Monika

Wenn jeder Schuß ein Treffer wär, wär`s schießen keine Freude mehr.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von monika (28. April 2008 um 15:13)

• What police officers do think about gas guns? I don't care because it's their personal opinion. I don't violate any laws by carrying. And the opinion of most politicians and policemen towards gas guns and free weapons for self defense, is bullshit imo. They give stupid examples, that have not much to do with the real situations you get used by a weapon. They try to scary "normal" citizens by that. And many citizens in germany actually believe in that bullshit, that there would be no violence on the streets anymore, when people get no ability of defending themselfes. I think the motivation of many of them in that point is that they were never into a real self defense situation and don't know much about that and as long as they weren't they don't like to think about what could happen because it would damage their feeling of safetiness. Better trusting that the police comes fast enough and all the scary, scary people outside always hit other citizens or the neighbor... than seeing how it is in reality: mostly too late to call the police, noone of all the eyewitnesses helps you an the hooligan/ganster/whatever (who went to the fitness-studio each day for the last 10 years) beats the shit out of you...

A bit pessimistic point of view - I know. But i think the situation I described is more realistic than the myth that your counterpart mostly draws a real gun when you try to defend yourself with a gas gun (or another weapon) that's spread by politics and the police.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von stahlnetz (28. April 2008 um 15:22)

• Yes. to be killed by "professional" killer/criminal, with a real firearm is practically zero.

Murderers are usually caught by the police 60%+ of the cases.

To be robbed, stabbed, seriously hurt by bare hand or a baseball baton, or raped (if you are a woman) is much more likely. These "usual" crimes are those against we carry gas-alarm guns. And the police is especially ineffective in such cases.

• Zitat

Original von Gabor VASS
    To be robbed, stabbed, seriously hurt by bare hand or a baseball baton, or raped (if you are a woman) is much more likely. These "usual" crimes are those against we carry gas-alarm guns. And the police is especially ineffective in such cases.

i keep cracking up every single time a try to imagine a woman calling 911 while getting raped :D

o
    L_
    OL
    this is Schäuble. copy Schäuble into your signature to help him on his way to überwachungsstaat.

• Zitat

Original von Gabor VASS
    Here (in Hungary), most average policemen do not know anything about guns, not even about their service pistols. Most of them can not even field strip it. :(

I know about that.

One of my family members is a police woman who doesn't even know what kind or brand of handgun she carrys every day.
    She even told me that she wasn't at the shooting range for about half a year.
    :crazy3: :crazy3:

I couldn't believe that.

This is awful.
    I don't want to know what happens if she gets in a really bad situation.

CO2: Smith & Wesson Mod. 586 6" / Walther Lever Action Gold
    SSW: RG 3 / RG 59 / RG 96 Match / RG 800 / Vektor CP1 / Noris Twinny Derringer altnickel / HW 37 /HW 88 SA / HW 94 / Zoraki 914 / Zoraki 917

• Zitat

their main argument is: when you draw gas pistol. somebody can draw real combat pistol.

I guess threatening a criminal with a gas gun can cause serious reactions of your opponent.
    In my eyes a gas gun is to be used immediatly firing 1 or 2 rounds. (for sure only in situations that necessitate such an action).

Marc

Guns don't kill people, people kill people... Guns defend people from people with smaller guns

Waffen: HW 35 vor 1970 :n1: , Mosin-Nagant Salut :n1: , Magtech AR500 G2

• Zitat

Original von Flammpanzer
    right, gabor. the chance to get shot by a real gun is not very big in this country ...

jens

In Lithuania (from where Stark is, who got that statement) there is indeed a chance, i think.
    On the Border between Poland and Lithuania lots of Guns were smuggeled from what i heared.
    At least this was until Poland got the EU-Border, but since December 07 the Schengen Agreement is in force ( in Lithuania!), I dont know, how strict the Polish bordercontrols there still are.

But Stark will know the situation better himself.

"Je verdorbener der Staat, desto mehr Gesetze hat er."
    Tacitus

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von chris1988 (28. April 2008 um 20:51)

• Many policemen (and politicians) have the opion, that only "official troops" (Police/ Army) should be allowed to carry/ possess weapons.

The problem is - that they want and try, to minimize the "risk" of armed civilians,
    but on the other hand, they are reducing the head counts of Cops, too.

Therfor you feel more and more left alone on the street, at home, whereever,
    and those "official gunners" are far away, when you really need them.

As long as it allowed, I am taking the chance, to carry "SSW", whenever I want.
    And I do not count on what policemen think and "wish".

Fördermitglied des VDB.

• Criminals in Lithuania use firearms quite rare, the percent of crimes, made with firearm is about 1 %.
    The biggest possibility is to get a rubber bullet from teenage hooligans with a modified gas gun (Blow magnum from Turkey, Me 38 Compact gum).
    A week ago one criminal was arrested - he was keeping AK 47 under his bed :)
    In 2006-2007 people could surrender or legalize their illegal weapons. They legalized/surrendered 1128 shotguns, 362 rifles, 305 pistols/revolvers.

A few gangs were catched, that smuggled modified Izh 79 8 to Great Britain.

I can say one thing about gas pistols - because they are widely available, nobody are afraid of them. There was one event when a guy had Glock 17 and some criminal, who tried to attack him, thought it was a gas gun (after shot in the air he changed his mind).

Greetings from Lithuania :)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Stark (29. April 2008 um 09:55)

• "I guess threatening a criminal with a gas gun can cause serious reactions of your opponent.
    In my eyes a gas gun is to be used immediatly firing 1 or 2 rounds. (for sure only in situations that necessitate such an action)."

I agree. The gas-alarm gun (and mostly the real gun, also) not for showing/flashing. If the situation is so serious, decide, DRAW and FIRE immediately.

In case of gas-alarm gun there is no reason to hesitate: no one will be killed, the thing is harmless.

And consider also the possibility if dog attack, which is very high here, this alone legitimize the carrying of a gas-alarm gun!