Walther P88 cracks

Es gibt 10 Antworten in diesem Thema, welches 4.081 mal aufgerufen wurde. Der letzte Beitrag (2. Juni 2007 um 14:52) ist von Daniel_79.

• Hello guys,

I just got my brand new Walther P88 Compact ( PTB 764 ) and as i looked at it i discovered some small cracks in the beginning of the barrel.
    Now, are these small cracks something to worry about or ar they just cosmetic?
    Maybe this can occur on new weapons sometimes when they mould the guns?
    Take alook for yourself.

These small cracks are on the right side of the barrel

The ones below are at the left side

Please, say that its nothing serious!! :cry:

Sincerly/// Daniel

• Hi Daniel,

according to my opinion the cracks in your weapon have no influence on it`s functionality - but nonetheless it looks ugly and seems not to be normal. I don't have these fabrication errors on my own P88, for example.

It seems as if you received a 2nd choice weapon.

If you haven`t paid a lower price than usual I would send these pictures to your dealer and request a replacement weapon.

Sincerely,
    Eichi

Meine :F:-Sammlung: FWB 601, Baikal IZH53M, ME38 Compact, HW94, P88 Compact, RG100, RG96, TM Automag III Spring :n1:

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Eichlaub (2. Mai 2007 um 23:00)

• Don´t worry!

The inner core of the barrel is made of steel (you see the different colors, the steel doesn´t take the blueing of the zinc).
    As long as this steel core is not damaged, everything is fine.
    The zinc outside is mostly just for the right shape.
    At the shown cracks the zinc apparently cracked from the steel.
    So, technically no problem!

But:
    The gun ist new and you can expect a perfect condition on new gun!
    So, if possible, contact the seller and try to get a gun without these imperfections.

Stefan

• Thanx , i have to think about this, its a pain in the a** to send it back to waffen-ostheimer.
    But as you all say, its not that beautiful. I´ll maybe send ostheimer the pictures and see whats happends.

Sincerely/// Daniel

• Hmm, back to these cracks again, since their most for the looks and don´t interact with the safety or handling.
    I have contacted waffen-ostheimer but has not recieved any answer yet.

If i shoot the gun, can these cracks leed to that pieces of the metall "fly off" ?? You get what i mean?
    Hence, that the cracks gets bigger and a piece of the zink metall may com off?

/// Daniel

• Well, the rule of thumb for damaged weapons is DO NOT SHOOT. I suggest you do this. 450 atmospheres of pressure may be less than the 2k+ of "real" firearms, but it's more than enough to ruin your whole day.

If you shoot the gun, the cracks _will_ get bigger, and at some point parts _will_ start to come off. It's just a matter of time really.

Definitely try to exchange the gun for a new, or at least undamaged one.

Jaja, Floppyk, Ich mach ja schon ;)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Der Entenmann (5. Mai 2007 um 14:46)

• Well, back to the P88 story, i have gotten a new Walther P88 Compact pistol yesterday from Waffen-Ostheimer.

I totally stripped it down and searched for cracks or other defaults but i did not find any. The gun i got this time was a very nice example.
    I got an bottle of Ballistol oil from Ostheimer too (for the first time..).

But....the first thing i noticed when i opened the box was that it didn´t came with any magazine! :evil:

First gun i get has cracks.....then after several weeks when i get the new one it doesn´t have any magazine with it....
    Lucky enough for me i ordered an extra magazine the last time so i at least hav a mag to it.
    So now i have contacted Ostheimer AGAIN and pointed out the error in this case.
    Althou i cannot proove that a magazine was missing but at least i have let them know to their knowledge.
    I´ll return to tell how this story continues... :confused2:

Well at least the gun itself was 100% ok and i´ll post some pictures some time forward.

Sincerely/// Daniel

• Sorry to hear that Daniel, hopefully ostheimer sends you a magazine. Was the package unsealed or something?

(How is the grip on the P88 compared to other huns you had?it looks a little uncomfortable to me)

Btw. Do you have some nice pictures you can share with us perhaps some action pictures?

• Zitat

Original von Hupo
    Sorry to hear that Daniel, hopefully ostheimer sends you a magazine. Was the package unsealed or something?

(How is the grip on the P88 compared to other huns you had?it looks a little uncomfortable to me)

Btw. Do you have some nice pictures you can share with us perhaps some action pictures?

If i compare the grip on the P88 compared to the other guns such as Röhm RG96, Browning GPDA 9, Walther PP, Geco P225 and Reck PK800, i would say that the P88 has a "standard" feel. By that i mean that its not uncomfortable or anything special either. I think it feels good for my hands but for a person with small hands maybe it can be a little large because of the dubbel stack magazine. I have wooden grips to it also and it feels like they are thinner but maybe that´s just me.

And yes, pictures will come soon, with and without wooden grips. But the action pictures will come later.

The only thing i have noticed with all P88´s is that the red color (wich i think looks more like pink) dots in the safety position fades away very easily, almost like it was powder.
    So i have removed it and dotted some real red color that lasts and don´t fade away.

Sincerely/// Daniel

• Well , here are some photos of my new Walther P88 Compact 9mm.

First off... picture below is a real Walther P88

and here´s my P88

The real P88- right side

and my P88-right side

The P88 is very simular to the real model in many ways.

More photos can be seen of my P88 under the tread "Schöne SSW bilder"

Sincerely/// Daniel