Smith and Wesson M1917 9 mm Knall - exists?

Es gibt 8 Antworten in diesem Thema, welches 4.066 mal aufgerufen wurde. Der letzte Beitrag (24. November 2005 um 12:48) ist von Gabor VASS.

• hi,
    I've bought a couple of years of old DWJ magazines.

In an 1974 issue I found an advertisement of a Smith and Wesson M1917 (originally .455 Webley) real revolver converted to 9 mm Knall gas-alarm gun. With PTB!

In the same advertisement there were a Webley Mark IV-9 mm Knall, which I know DO exists.

The Smith and Wesson was priced very high for 1974 (298-498 DM depending on condition).

My question: this gun really exists? I have never seen one outside that advertisment.

• "Maybe they were advertised, but something went wrong during licensing and proofing, just like the SigSauer 226 - advertised, but never available."

The SIG P226-CO2 was ended, because the developer company, the IWG went bankrupt. I had one - nonfunctional - sample in my hand on an IWA, and it looked very promising.

The most interesting of that ad was, that it was together with a similar, but existing (I have a gas-Webley, too:-)))) product.

So, If no one knows here about the SW 1917, it probably do not exists:-(((

I am sad. It looks so good, and its historical value....

• Hallo Ray,

Gabor Vass sucht speziell dieses Modell "Smith and Wesson M1917" b.w. Informationen ob dieses Modell überhaupt in den Handel gelangt ist.

Bei der und ähnlichen EGUN-Auktionen werden die alten Webley-Revolver angeboten.

Gruss
    Alfred

Edit: Wobei beide Modelle (IMHO) eine ähnliche Geschichte aufweisen. Das Modell 1917 wurde seinerzeit von den USA als Kriegshilfe nach England geliefert um die enormen Waffenverluste der Briten b.w. den Bedarf an Handfeuerwaffen auszugleichen. Deshalb auch die Verwendung des urbritischen Kalibers .455Webley.
    Ich glaube mich erinnern zu können dass vor ca. 2 Jahren ein entsprechender Vergleichstest mit historischem Hintergrundbericht in der VISIER erschienen ist.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ALFHA1802 (23. November 2005 um 18:16)

• Zitat

Original von Gabor VASS
    Hi,
    the advertiser was the Hebsacker Gmbh, which -as far as I know - still function, although sells only knifes, no guns at all.

Long time ago, things changed a bit:

Hebsacker are/have been two companies. The one in 1974 was Hebsacker GmbH, the owner Friedrich Hebsacker (one of the founders of the DWJ) had to quit business some years later and reopened as "Zeughaus Hege" (= HEbsacker GEsellschaft) in Überlingen at the Bodensee. Friedrich Hebsacker sold the company some years ago to Dr. Gorzawski, they are still in business with ordnance and military rifles and stuff (http://www.hege-arms.com/), but now in Messkirch.

Hebsackers brother Hermann stayed in Schwaebisch Hall, renamed the company in "Stahlwarenhaus Hebsacker" (or "Haller Stahlwarenhaus" and if they didn't die, they live happily ever after...

---------------------------

In the 1970's they were a lot of strange conversions done in germany, due to the 1972 introduced gun law. The S & W 1917 was a typical, cheap revolver, which was converted by Hebsacker because he could sell it better as the original caliber (remember, sport shooting was only .22 and airguns, a few .32 and .38 Centerfire shooters, until in 1975 the Centerfire Shooting Federations like BDMP and BDS were founded).

You can only find one in classified ads in the magazines (or at EGun), but surely neither Stahlwarenhaus nor Hege Sport & Jagd, as it is called today, will be able to help you.

all gone, vanished in the dust of history :schluchz:

Ich bin der Keith Richards dieses Forums und immer noch hier...