An American fixes a Zimmerstutzen

Es gibt 5 Antworten in diesem Thema, welches 2.069 mal aufgerufen wurde. Der letzte Beitrag (31. Juli 2008 um 07:53) ist von fahnenschmied.

• Or, a "stranger in a strange land" Do forgive me if I have this in the wrong section. Forgive, also, my English - today my German would be good only for comedy, and not even good comedy.
    Last year I found part of a Zimmerstutzen in an antique shop. Missing a front sight, and the buttstock. Seemed functional still. I was impressed by the quality of the work on the set triggers. I haggled the price down to where I was satisfied and took my prize home.
    I couldn't find a piece of wood thick enough to make the stock from; so I glued a separate ckeek piece on. Also, our walnut is too dark to match whatever the foerend was made from. I have ended up using Black Cherry, which will match the other wood quite well.
    I based the outline on the angles of the tangs, as well as photos I found on the Internet.
    I stopped working on it sometime in February...

• I couldn't find a buttplate anywhere for it. Our American "schutzen" rifles have something similar but different. I did find a German stockmaker who had some better (but not perfect) buttplates - but at something like 80 euros that was more than I gave for my rifle. Luckily I am a blacksmith. I decided to make one. I wish I could say it came out perfect on the first try but I would be a liar....
    Here is the beginning of the fourth attempt. Its made from some heavy iron gas/water pipe, about 3.5 cm diameter.

• And last for today...I decided to start inletting the plate to the stock. I made the meeting surfaces symmetrical and true. I will save the outer shaping for whan I shape the stock. These last two days have been brutal, it being about 38 or 40 degrees and very humid. I had sweat dripping off both elbows like a leaking faucet. So what? Well - such sweat will make ugly black splotches on this wood - on Maple too. When sweat rolls down your ams into your hands its almost impossible to keep it off your work.! The darkening is partly dirt and part chemical blackening from sweat. It almost matches the forend now...
    I think I'll shellack it to keep sweat off it better tomorrow. Hopefully I can get the buttplate all the way on tomorrow.